The Director of Operations is a strategic position that achieves operational excellence through leveraging people, processes, and technology. The role will oversee the daily operations for the ASTOUND’s Burlington facility. The role will be the one to ensure that our operations are well-coordinated and productive by managing its procedures and coaching its people. The area of responsibility for this role is extensive and thus requires thorough knowledge of various company processes. The ideal candidate must be competent and able to plan a variety of operational activities.
OBJECTIVES OF THIS ROLE
- Collaborate with executive-level management in the development of performance goals and long-term operational plans.
- Maximize efficiency and productivity through extensive process analysis and interdepartmental collaboration.
- Set strategic goals for operational efficiency and increased productivity.
- Analyze current operational processes and performance, recommending solutions for improvement
- Develops, implements, and monitors day-to-day operational systems and processes that provide visibility into goals, progress, and obstacles for ASTOUND’s key initiatives.
- Oversees manufacturing, warehousing, logistics, and facilities departments.
- Plans, directs, controls, implements, evaluates, monitors, and forecasts budgets and cost of sales in each department to achieve financial objectives.
- Manages the quarterly and annual budgeting process and P&L responsibilities.
- Provides regular performance updates to the senior leadership team.
- Reviews financial information and adjust operational budgets to promote profitability.
- Evaluates overall performance by gathering, analyzing, and interpreting data and metrics.
- Builds and maintains relationships with all stakeholders to make decisions regarding operational activities and strategic goals.
- Plans, monitors, and analyzes key metrics for the day-to-day performance of the operations to ensure efficient and timely completion of tasks.
- Devises strategies to ensure the growth of programs, identifying and implementing process improvements that will maximize output and minimize costs.
- Upholds organization policies and standards, ensuring legislative regulations are followed.
- Evaluates and recommends significant Capital and Operating Expenses.
- Collaborates with the finance department to develop financial plans for operations.
- Collaborates with Project Management department to improve Job cost reporting and structure
- Assists with providing the estimating team with labor and material cost quotations for custom build projects
- Oversees construction of all custom build projects for resale or for rental
- Oversees all employees and subcontractors who are called in to the shop
- Oversees the build of exhibit properties and other custom build projects
- Consults on feasibility of custom build projects
- Reviews work orders and ensures clear instructions, including plans/drawings if required, are provided to carpenters and/or vendors
- Responsible for recruiting, negotiating, and developing a working relationship with subcontractors in trades related to custom builds
- Oversees the maintenance of appropriate minimum levels of raw materials inventory
- Ensures shop is clean and organized and is in “tour ready” condition at all times
- Repairs and maintains custom rental stock
- Interview, hire, train, and mentor the operations management team.
- Communicates and explains new directives, policies, or procedures to employees; for significant changes, meets with entire operations staff to explain changes, answer questions, and maintain morale.
- Organizes and oversees the work and schedules of departmental supervisors.
- Conducts formal and informal performance evaluations to proactively identify efficiency issues and propose solutions
- Handles disciplinary actions as needed by following ASTOUND’s human resources policies.
- Define and implement operations strategy, structure, and procedures.
- Define and implement procedures to align operational strategy, systems, structure, staff, skills with the ASTOUND’s mission
- Get involved in long-term business planning at the managerial and executive level
- Establishes quantitative and qualitative metrics, guidelines, and standards by which the operations department’s efficiency and effectiveness can be evaluated; identifies opportunities for improvement.
- Leverage the current platforms the company has to improve Operational efficiency.
- Recommend and implement new technology platforms to increase productivity.
- Provide feedback to Technology department for improvements.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Act as or appoint the Management chair for the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC).
- Ensures work environment is safe and in compliance with Ontario Health and Safety Act (OSHA).
- Document, file, and report all WSIB claims for the Operational staff.
- Provide support and documentation to Project managers for Health and Safety compliance on sites, including NOP, COI, H&S plans, site supervision, and Job Hazard Analysis.
- Represent the company for any regulatory inspections, including the ministry of Labor (MOL), Fire Department, Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks (MOECP).
- Obtain and maintain regulatory compliance standards for the facility and equipment.
ASTOUND is committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarian’s with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please let us know if you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process.