Reporting to the Director, Estimating and Development, the primary role of the Estimator is to support the Architectural Services team by providing preliminary designs, detailed estimates, and client-facing proposals for a broad variety of project opportunities. An Estimator is an innovative leader in researching and proposing advanced fabrication materials, processes, and techniques. An Estimator thrives on diversity and is knowledgeable about a wide range of topics related to design, fabrication, construction, and the built environment. An Estimator is expected to offer insightful solutions to unique fabrication challenges in a fast and efficient manner.
An Estimator works collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team on projects that range from $100,000 to $10,000,000 and have typical durations of 1-4 weeks. They build and foster strong relationships with clients, vendors, and partners. An Estimator provides critical support to sales, design, and project management teams by designing and pricing preliminary project solutions, then preparing proposals for presentation to clients.
- Prepare and evaluate cost estimates, budgets, and proposals for ASTOUND’s Architectural Services line of business for opportunities throughout North America.
- Assist in determining selling strategy for new opportunities in terms of competitive market pricing, level of detail, and recommending the proposal/contract type best suited to win the business.
- Review project details, contract and bid requirements and ensure that ASTOUND is best represented in terms and conditions.
- Source components, gather quotes, negotiate prices with suppliers, and consult with in-house assets to determine accurate project costs
- Develop a detailed concept of execution, including material specifications, design direction, build methodology, and installation strategy
- Act as a subject matter expert to assist sales activities, attend client meetings and calls with Contractors, Architects, and end clients as needed. Continue to provide ongoing consultation throughout the sales cycle to win business.
- Maintain and continue to develop departmental “Best Practices” for the Architectural Services/Project Development team in terms of estimating means and methods, level of accuracy, measures of success, and high standards for proposals, pricing, bids, and response packages.
- Evaluate, update, and maintain a standard products and commodities price list used for estimating.
- Work with 3rd party vendors, and suppliers for pricing, new product information, and become a product expert in as many areas as possible.
- Provide consultation to members in the Project Development group on effective solutions and “Value Engineering” to help the design/solution/bid come in on budget and/or market price-driven.
- Participate in creating RFP and bid/tender submission packages, providing pricing, technical data, production timelines, etc. as required.
- Participate in process, procedure, and pricing tool upgrades for the Solutions & Estimating Department.
- Assist in data accuracy, input, and evaluation of data accuracy of business intelligence and sales data in ASTOUND’s custom modules, using the salesforce.com platform.
- Records keeping and analysis of past performance of estimates based on actual costs
- Working based in the Oakville, ON office.
- Other Duties as requested by the direct report or members of the ASTOUND executive team.
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Positive attitude and can be a good team player
- Strong time management and scheduling skills
- Proactive, self-starter style work ethic
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Working knowledge of millwork fabrication, materials, and construction methods
- Experience with SalesForce.com is considered an asset
- Construction Management and/or Architecture based education
- Minimum 10 years experience in an estimating or project management role
ASTOUND is committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarian’s with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please let us know if you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process.