ASTOUND is a global creative agency that specializes in the design and execution of memorable experiences for companies to share with their customers. ASTOUND is a multi-faceted business whose services include architectural fabrication, brand strategy and development, retail design and store rollouts, digital engagements, trade show booths, branded events and environments.
ASTOUND’s offices span North America, with fabrication facilities that exceed 600,000 square feet. ASTOUND’s projects span over 40 countries and their clients are some of the most well-recognized brands across multiple industry sectors including consumer products, sports and entertainment, telecommunications, and technology.
The Metal shop Foreman will lead in all domains of the Metal Fabrication department (the infrastructure, the people, and the work) through effective planning, organization, and supervision.
This position is expected to display a high degree of personal initiative and must be able to identify and resolve production problems independently with minimal guidance and/or supervision. For problems outside the foreman’s capacity to resolve, timely and effective communication with the Production manager, Project Managers, and Designers is imperative. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Through appropriate planning and supervision, ensures all aspects of the department including building space, equipment, and supplies/materials are maintained and in good working condition. This position will also continuously develop the department by being at the forefront of metal fabrication research and development.
- 10+ years experience in structural metal fabrication or similar trade.
- 3+ years experience as a supervision in a certified facility
- Ability to schedule and delegate work
- CWB GMAW/ FCAW Certification is an asset
- CBW Welding supervisor course completion is an asset
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and drawings
- Ability to consult and advise Projects Designers on fabrications methods
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- Detail oriented.
- Proficient problem-solving skills.
- Dedicated team-player.
- Excellent communication skills.
Research & Development
- Be involved with short-term and long-term planning and management of space requirements
- Be at the forefront of department research and development including new technologies, machinery research, material testing, and prototyping
- Develop a systematic library that documents how components should be designed in order to increase efficiency in design and fabrication
- Coordinates access to the facilities after hours; makes arrangements for work done outside of regular business hours and ensures that work is carried out safely and in accordance with Company policies and applicable government legislation
- Continuously anticipate tools/equipment needed to successfully complete all projects moving through metal fabrication
- Raise Request for Purchase Order (RPO) requests for required tools/equipment with the Production manager in a timely manner
- Be responsible for the maintenance and care of all Company-owned department machines and troubleshoot equipment as necessary;
- In conjunction with Production manager, identify, establish, and maintain a ‘ready stock’ inventory of materials and hardware required for department use. Makes regular reports of inventory position and raises RPO requests to top-up stock.
- Inventory all project materials received and stored at the Company’s facility. Securely stores all project materials and ensures that project supplies are not diverted from their intended project, unless released by expressed consent of Project Manager.
- Prepares inventory of surplus supplies at the end of each project, and in collaboration with the Operations Management (OM) team, identifies which items need to be retained for the warranty period, what can be disposed/ recycled and what can be returned unused. Maintains an up to date inventory of surplus items for use in other projects.
The Metal Shop Foreman sets the tone and pace of the environment by promoting the cooperation and commitment of all department personnel, enabling all members of the group to work cooperatively and productively.
- Oversee department’s labor force; Maintain daily communication with department members to ensure production needs are being addressed and schedules are being met
- Oversee department schedules and adding department shifts as needed, to meet production requirements
- Identify developmental and training needs of department staff and the appropriate resources required for training
- Regularly assess incumbent performance and address performance issues in a timely manner and participate in disciplinary action as required
- In coordination with Operations Management, ensure that all work is carried out in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) as well as with ASTOUND’s Health and Safety Policies
- Promptly report incidents, accidents and/or safety concerns to the JHSC and Production manager.
Time Sheets & Attendance
- Ensures department staff follow Astound’s time and attendance procedures
- Ensure department timecards and time sheets are properly managed and completed in a timely manner.
Understands and takes ownership of all aspects involved with a project regardless of magnitude and pays strict attention to quality control, timing, and efficiency. Ensures all resources necessary for successful completion of projects are identified early and supplied in a timely manner to avoid delays and substandard quality. Proactively seeks out clarification/information from Project Managers and Designers where instructions are vague. Suggests improvements in approach and methods where appropriate.
- Set production goals with Production manager and reports progress to appropriate parties on a daily basis
- Be actively involved in all project hand-off meetings that involve the metal fabrication department
- Act as the liaison between design and the metal shop department;
- Be hands-on with fabrication as needed; ensure all fabrication is done to a high-quality standard and in good timing;
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work pieces, sequence of operations, and set up requirements; Plan and map out project fabrication strategies;
- Manage material inventory to coincide with production cue;
- Maintain a safe work environment by performing work in accordance with the Ontario Health & Safety Act as well as with the Company’s Health & Safety Policy;
- Ensure all appropriate Personal Protective Equipment is worn when required;
- Report any workplace hazards to management.