ASTOUND is a global creative agency that specializes in the design and execution of memorable experiences for companies to share with their customers. ASTOUND is a multi-faceted business whose services include architectural fabrication, brand strategy and development, retail design and store rollouts, digital engagements, trade show booths, branded events and environments.
ASTOUND’s offices span North America, with fabrication facilities that exceed 600,000 square feet. ASTOUND’s projects span over 40 countries and their clients are some of the most well-recognized brands across multiple industry sectors including consumer products, sports and entertainment, telecommunications, and technology.
The position of Metal Shop Foreman plays a critical role in the lifecycle of all ASTOUND projects. They will lead in all domains of the Metal Fabrication department (the infrastructure, the people, and the work) through effective planning, organization, and supervision.
This position is expected to display a high degree of personal initiative and must be able to identify and resolve production problems independently with minimal guidance and/or supervision. For challenges outside the foreman’s capacity to resolve, timely and effective communication with the Production Manager, Project Managers, and Designers is imperative.
- 10+ years experience in structural metal fabrication or similar trade.
- 3+ years experience as a supervision in a certified facility.
- Ability to schedule and delegate work.
- CWB GMAW/ FCAW Certification is an asset.
- CBW Welding supervisor course completion is an asset.
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents and drawings.
- Ability to consult and advise Projects Designers on fabrications methods.
- A desire to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- Detail oriented.
- Proficient problem-solving skills.
- Dedicated team-player.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Oversee department schedules adding department shifts as needed, to meet production requirements
- Utilize Work Orders system to track completion of work, document usage of resources and maintain production schedule
- Coordinates access to the facilities after hours; arrange for work done outside of regular business hours
- Review Gantts schedules with project management to ensure there up to date, accurate and staff is scheduled accordingly
- Be at the forefront of department research and development including new technologies, machinery research, material testing, and prototyping
- Be involved with short-term and long-term planning and management of space requirements
- Continuously anticipate tools/equipment needed to successfully complete all projects moving through metal fabrication
- Be responsible for the maintenance and care of all Company-owned department machines and troubleshoot equipment as necessary
- Proactively seeks out clarification/information from Project Managers and Designers where instructions are vague. Suggests improvements in approach and methods where appropriate.
- Identify, establish, and maintain a ‘ready stock’ inventory of materials and hardware required for department use.
- Inventory all project materials and hardware received and stored at the Company’s facility.
- Issue Purchase Order (RPO) requests for the departments required tools/equipment, materials, and hardware
- Identify developmental and training needs of department staff and the appropriate resources required for training
- Regularly assess incumbent performance and address performance issues in a timely manner and participate in disciplinary action as required
- Maintain a safe work environment and ensure that all work is carried out in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) as well as with Astound Group’s Health and Safety Policies
- Promptly report incidents, hazards, accidents and/or safety concerns to the JHSC and Production manager.
- Ensures department staff follow Astound’s time and attendance procedures
- Ensure department timecards and time sheets are properly managed and completed in a timely manner.
- Set production goals with Production manager and reports progress to appropriate parties daily
- Be actively involved in all project hand-off meetings that involve the metal fabrication department
- Act as the liaison between design and the metal shop department
- Be hands-on with fabrication as needed; ensure all fabrication is done to a high-quality standard and in good timing
- Review and approve both submittal and production drawings for following: Construction, efficiency, overall dimensions, cost, material sizes, build accessibility, ease of installation, CNC requirements, Information required by production
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications or sample parts to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work pieces, sequence of operations, and set up requirements; Plan and map out project fabrication strategies
- Develop a systematic library that documents how components should be designed in order to increase efficiency in design and fabrication
At ASTOUND, our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is helping us to create not only a great place to work, but also an environment where our employees, customers and the communities we operate exist in a safe, productive and enriching environment for everyone. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status and other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.